You can book with confidence, safe in the knowledge that if your circumstances change and you can no longer travel when intended you can change your travel plans to another date or time. If that doesn’t suit you then you can claim a full refund prior to the date of travel. Read on for full details.
Anytime, Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak tickets
A full refund on unused tickets is available for any ticket surrendered before the date of travel. For tickets surrendered after the date of travel a £10 admin fee will apply to each application. Any claim for refund must be made within 28 days of the tickets expiry date.
Until 31 December 2021 we have introduced some temporary changes to our Advance ticket booking conditions.
- All changes to Advance tickets must be made before the train you originally booked to travel on is due to depart
- You’ll be required to pay any difference in fare if changing your journey
- Changes may be made to the date and time of travel up to 18:00 the day before travel without additional admin fees
- Changes to the origin or destination of the ticket before the time of travel are subject to a £10 admin fee per ticket
- Changes to the date and time of travel after 18:00 the day before travel and before the time of travel are subject to a £10 admin fee
- If you are unable to amend your booking you may request a full refund of the ticket value in Rail Travel Vouchers up to 18:00 the day before travel
There are some slight differences in how we will handle your request to amend your Advance ticket if you purchased online. Please review the table below:
Things to know before completing the refund form
- All claims for a full refund in Rail Travel Vouchers must be submitted before 18:00 the day before travel. Any applications submitted after this time will be rejected and no refund will be available
- Rail Travel Vouchers are valid for 12 months from the date of issue and are valid for use across the National Rail Network
Tickets already collected or purchased from one of our ticket offices
You will need to cut the paper ticket in half before it is scanned or photographed and uploaded as an image. We must be able to see the complete ticket in the upload. This applies to all refund applications where a paper ticket has been printed.
Tickets bought online but not yet collected
Please include the ticket reference number in the additional comments section on the online refund and we will be able to cancel your booking a refund you in travel vouchers.
Please include the AO ticket reference number below the barcode in the additional comments section on the online refund form and upload a screenshot or clear photograph of the eTicket and we will be able to cancel your booking a refund you in travel vouchers.
Start a claim
Separate arrangements apply for season ticket refunds.