We have partnered with MissingX, the world's largest lost and found database.
In order to find your lost item, please perform a search of our network first using the date you lost the item.
Register your lost property
Changes to the way we handle lost items in response to the coronavirus
To keep our colleagues safe we are making some changes to the way we handle lost property including:
- To maintain social distancing we have reduced the number of colleagues who are able to assist with reuniting you with your item. This means that we are no longer able to answer telephone enquiries and instead we encourage you to email us at email@example.com
- We have reduced the number of times our outer stations will send items to our main lost property office in London Waterloo. Instead, we may advise you that your item is available to collect from the station it was found at to help reunite you as quickly as possible.
- To avoid contamination we’ll be holding items in a separate area for 72 hours before we process them this will extend the time before you are able to collect your items.
- The main lost property office at London Waterloo is only able to accommodate one customer at a time and depending on the ongoing demand we may need to introduce an appointment system.
Where does lost property go?
It can take up to 7 days for items to reach our Lost Property Office at London Waterloo.
If you leave something on one of our trains, it's normally found at the last stop. This may not always be run by South Western Railway.
Common destinations include:
What happens to lost property?
Anything perishable is disposed of.
- Cash is banked and we issue a receipt. You can reclaim your money by cheque, or at the London Waterloo ticket office.
- British Passports have to be invalidated and returned to HM Passport Office. Other country's passports are returned to the relevant Embassy or High Commission.
- Bank cards are destroyed to protect you from fraud.
- Items we can keep are stored securely for 3 months.
Collecting lost property
We are planning to re-open the lost property office at London Waterloo from Monday 20 July 2020, our opening times are 08:00 to 18:30 Monday to Friday.
We are currently running with less staff than normal so please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll answer you as soon as we can.
Search for and register your lost property, click or tap here:
Register your lost property
We charge for the retrieval of lost property, which helps us cover the cost of safely storing items. The charges are based on the type of item and are made in accordance with guidelines set by the Nation Rail conditions of travel. Currently, our lost property office are only able to accept cash payments.