- Free SWR train travel to Remembrance Sunday events for service personnel, veterans and cadets
- The offer is available to anyone who is travelling in uniform or able to show an appropriate form of identification
- Supporting Remembrance events is important to SWR as many staff are ex-members of the armed forces
Serving military personnel, cadets and veterans travelling to local Remembrance Sunday events will be eligible for free travel on all South Western Railway (SWR) services this year.
The offer from SWR, which is funded by the Department for Transport, is available to anyone who is travelling in uniform or able to show an appropriate form of identification. This is the company’s way of paying tribute to both current and previous generations of servicemen and women.
As many of SWR’s staff, including guards and drivers, are ex-members of the armed forces, supporting Remembrance events is particularly significant for the company.
Serving personnel travelling to the main national commemoration at the Cenotaph in London will also be allowed to travel on any London bound SWR service for free on Saturday 13th November and Sunday 14th November and return from London on Sunday 14th November.
Peter Williams, Commercial Director for South Western Railway, said:
“South Western Railway is happy to continue to offer free travel to service personnel, cadets and veterans to attend Remembrance Sunday events. By making it easier for people to attend these events, we can help to honour the sacrifice that so many have made over the years. Many of our SWR colleagues come from a service background and so this is particularly important to us”.
To make use of the free travel offer, current serving personnel or Cadets must be in uniform or present a current Ministry of Defence issued ID card (cards endorsed “Dependent” will not be accepted). Veterans should present one of the following forms of ID:
- Veterans Railcard
- British Veterans Recognition Card/Veterans Regimental Association Card
- Veterans Oyster Card
- Ministry of Defence issued Veterans ID card