- South Western Railway (SWR) announces contingency timetable for Wednesday 8 and Thursday 9 November
- SWR plans to run around two thirds of its normal train service on these dates
- SWR has repeatedly assured RMT of plans to keep Guards on board trains
South Western Railway has announced that it will run more than 60% of its normal train services on the two days that the RMT union has instructed its Guards members to go on strike.
The strike will affect services on Wednesday 8 and Thursday 9 November but contingency plans are in place to run as many services as possible. There will also be rail replacement bus services on some routes to help passengers.
Andy Mellors, Managing Director for South Western Railway, said: “We plan to run around two thirds of our regular timetabled services which will deliver around 70% of the seats we normally provide across the morning and evening peak hours in to London.
“However, we are sorry that many of our passengers will find trains much busier than normal and that, in some places, replacement bus services will run instead of trains on the strike date called by the RMT.
“This strike is unnecessary. We have repeatedly assured the RMT that we plan to keep two safety-trained employees on our trains. This is because we know that a second member of staff provides assurance to our passengers and ensures we have capable colleagues on board to deliver assistance or offer advice during journeys.
“No one will lose their job. We have been very clear that we are guaranteeing the jobs, salaries and terms and conditions of Guards. In fact, as we expand our fleet, we will be hiring more Drivers and Guards to help deliver more and better services for passengers.”
Further details on the timetable and rail replacement bus services for Wednesday 8 and Thursday 9 November.
Notes to editors
A rail replacement bus service will be in operation on Wednesday 8 and Thursday 9 November on the following routes:
- Yeovil Junction – Exeter St. Davids
- Salisbury – Eastleigh via Chandler’s Ford (Great Western Railway run services will run from Southampton to Salisbury via Romsey)
- Virginia Water – Weybridge (via Chertsey)
- Ascot – Guildford (via Camberley and Aldershot). No trains in service on this specific route. Check nationalrail.co.uk and southwesternrailway.com for other routes to / from London
- Poole – Weymouth
- Shanklin – Ryde Pier Head