- £26 million upgrade of the Island Line receives a ‘Good’ CEEQUAL rating.
- CEEQUAL is the world’s first sustainability rating scheme for improving the design, construction, and maintenance of infrastructure assets.
- Sustainable development was considered and implemented throughout the project.
Successes in boosting sustainability and biodiversity have led to SWR’s £26 million Island Line upgrade receiving a top environmental rating.
World leading sustainability assessment and rating scheme, CEEQUAL, awarded the project a ‘Good’ rating, demonstrating that sustainable development was considered and implemented throughout the project.
This is the first time SWR has completed a CEEQUAL assessment, and this rating reflects its commitment to sustainable working.
Key sustainability successes included engagement with Natural England and the Isle of Wight Council to ensure that the project resulted in no net biodiversity loss; the installation of platform overlays at six stations to reduce waste by avoiding demolition of existing platforms and the reuse of excavated ballast and coper stones and FSC certified timber products. SWR was also praised for the level of stakeholder engagement taking place and the local partnership links that were formed during the project.
The £26 million upgrade of the Island Line – which was completed last year – has transformed the railway’s trains, infrastructure and stations, vastly improving the service SWR is able to offer islanders and visitors alike.
Amy Dickinson, SWR’s Head of Sustainability, said “We are absolutely delighted that SWR’s ongoing commitment to sustainability has been recognised in this way. The Island Line Upgrade was the first SWR project to be assessed by CEEQUAL and the ‘Good’ assessment demonstrates that environmental sustainability was at the forefront of the project throughout.”
- CEEQUAL is an evidence-based sustainability assessment, rating and certification scheme for civil engineering infrastructure. Investors, governments and regulators are increasingly understanding that infrastructure is an asset that should be benchmarked in the same way as buildings. In response to this demand, CEEQUAL Version 6 provides a global benchmark for infrastructure sustainability to compare projects across markets and regions. More information here.
- You can find out more about the Island Line upgrade project here.