- £1,041,850 grant will boost cycle facilities across the SWR network
- Improvements at Salisbury, Winchester, Dorchester South, Gillingham, Wareham, Bournemouth, Parkstone, Weymouth, Basingstoke, Cranbrook and Honiton stations
- SWR is committed to improving cycle-rail connectivity
South Western Railway (SWR) customers will be delighted that more than £1million will be invested in new state of the art cycle facilities.
SWR was successful in securing grants for stations across its network from government, local authorities and third-party funding sources. Eleven stations received the good news that they will see state of the art cycle hubs, community cycle repair facilities, double racked cycle spaces, extra secure cycle parking, and new E Bike docking points.
Amelia Woodley, Head of Sustainability for South Western Railway, said:
“We know that many of our customers are environmentally-conscious and keen to keep fit and healthy by exercising on the way to their station. That’s why this £1million grant is such welcome news - customers will soon be able to use new cycle facilities across our patch.
“We’d like to thank the DfT and all of our local authority partners for recognising the positive impact that investment will have on these eleven stations.”
Cycling and Walking Minister, Michael Ellis, said:
“Cycling to your nearest station and catching a train to work is a great way to keep healthy, reduce emissions and help make our towns and cities vibrant places to live.
“But to make this a reality, I know that the right infrastructure needs to be in place. This latest investment will see many more stations become accessible for cyclists, so that greener travel options – whether as part of a longer or shorter journey – become the norm.”
The eleven stations that will receive funding* (a total of £1,041,850 ) are:
- Salisbury station
New cycle hub (74 cycle parking spaces) and e-bikes (10 for hire)
- Winchester station
New community cycle repair facility
- Dorchester South
Extra double raced cycle spaces (12)
Extra cycle spaces (12)
Extra cycle parking (12)
- Bournemouth and Parkstone stations
Extra cycle spaces (34)
- Weymouth station
Extra cycle spaces (12)
- Basingstoke station
New cycle hub and cycle path
- Cranbrook and Honiton stations
E-Bike docking points (30)
* courtesy of the Department for Transport and local authorities (including Wiltshire, Hampshire, Dorset, Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole, Basingstoke and Hants, Devon County Council and East Devon District Council) as well as the Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone and Lidl.