All South Western Railway customers should apply for any compensation for delayed journeys using the Delay Repay form. There may be occasions where other compensation is payable too, which only applies to customers who have a valid season ticket that was purchased before 4th September 2017.
A Void Period is where peak period trains – those arriving at Waterloo between 07:00 and 09:59 Monday to Friday or departing between 16:00 and 18:59 Monday to Friday – have been severely disrupted for a specific service group. The number of Void Periods for the last 12 months is available on Our Performance page.
For each half-day Void Period, we will refund you the full cost of a single ticket, proportionate to the length of your Season ticket.
If you’re a Season Ticket holder, your compensation will be based on the value of the delayed journey. As season tickets are valid for a period of time. to calculate the value of each journey, we divide the cost of your season ticket as follows:
An annual season is divided by 520 for each single void period
A six monthly season is divided by 264 for each single void period
A quarterly season is divided by 132 for each single void period
A monthly season is divided by 44 for each single void period
A weekly season is divided by 10 for each single void period
Passenger’s Charter performance
We’ll compensate you where we have failed to meet our Passenger's Charter commitments for punctuality and/or train service reliability over the last 12 months.
If, on average, over the last 12 months,
• our punctuality has been more than 2.5% below our Passenger's Charter standard,
• or our reliability has been more than 1% (or 0.75% for Island Line Trains) below our Passenger's Charter standard,
then we’ll give you a 5% discount on the price of your Season Ticket renewal.
If we fail to achieve our Passenger's Charter standards for both reliability and punctuality, we’ll give you a 10% discount.
Your renewal Season ticket must be for the same journey and the same period or shorter. We won’t give you these discounts if your Season ticket renewal is for travel on an alternative route, a longer distance or a longer ticket validity, or you are changing from Standard to First Class.
We’re sorry, we won’t compensate you if:
• You bought a Travelcard (either a ‘paper’ ticket or Oyster card) from somewhere other than South Western Railway. But we will consider your claim if you have proof that you use our trains for all, or part, of your journey – such as a home or work address close to a station we serve, and details of the journey you make
• If your journey involves travel on another train company’s trains – you’ll only be able to claim compensation from one train company per Season ticket
• If your Season ticket expired more than 28 days ago
How to claim
Void Period refunds:
• If you bought your ticket at one of our stations or ticket machines, you can claim your Void Period refund at the ticket office
• If you bought your ticket over the phone, including Business Travel, or on a Smartcard from our website, you can claim your refund at a South Western Railway ticket office or by writing to our Customer Service Centre – please enclose your expired tickets or your Smartcard number
• If you bought your ticket elsewhere please apply in writing to our Customer Service Centre and enclose your expired tickets.
Passenger's Charter compensation:
You’ll receive your discount when you renew your Season ticket. You must do this within 28 days of its expiry. Your new Season ticket must be for the same journey and for the same or shorter period of time.