Terms and Conditions of Use
- Your South Western Railway (“SWR”) smartcard is issued subject to the following Terms and Conditions. Your smartcard is issued free of charge and remains the property of SWR. We reserve the right to withdraw it at any time.
- A member of staff may inspect the smartcard at any time and you must show it to them on request.
- The smartcard is not transferable and it is an offence to give your smartcard to any other person for their use. The user may be liable for a penalty fare or prosecution if you give your smartcard to any other person for their use.
- If the card is no longer required it may be cancelled for use.
- Season Tickets stored on smartcards will require a photocard as means of identification. National Rail photocards can be obtained free of charge from any National Rail Ticket Office. The photocard number and your postcode are also required when purchasing a Season Ticket using a self-service ticket machine.
- Any ticket loaded to a smartcard is issued subject to the National Rail Conditions of Carriage and the Railway Byelaws. Further details and a copy of these conditions are available at southwesternrailway.com. Tickets stored on a smartcard are subject to normal refund rules in accordance with the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. All refunds must be arranged through our Customer Service Centre.
- Annual Season Ticket holders using smartcards whose origin and/or destination station is within the Gold Card area will be issued with a paper Gold Record Card separately. This must be surrendered if the Season Ticket is no longer required.*
- Before you board a train you are required to have a smartcard with a ticket loaded valid for the train you intend to use and for the journey you intend to make. Tickets cannot be loaded onto a smartcard on-board the train. Failure to load a valid ticket before boarding the train may result in you being liable to pay the full single or return fare, or a penalty fare or prosecution.
- At the start and end of every journey, your smartcard must be placed on the smartcard reader located on the automatic ticket gate, or where no automatic gates exist, on a platform validator. The reader indicates the card has been properly read by making an audible “bleep” and showing a green light.
- The loss or theft of a smartcard must be reported to our Customer Service Centre by calling 0345 810 1010 as soon as possible. The card can then be cancelled on the system to prevent future use. Cancellation will normally take place within 24 hours. Until it is cancelled, you will be liable for any unauthorised use of the smartcard. We cannot prevent the unauthorised use of a lost or stolen smartcard until it has been reported by the registered holder.
- Once cancelled, a card cannot be “re-activated”. We will ask you to confirm your details before we cancel your card and arrange for a replacement to be issued. A replacement fee may apply to any tickets loaded to the card.
- An administration charge will apply to a duplicate Season Ticket loaded onto a replacement card.
- Where your smartcard is faulty you will need to notify us by calling our Customer Service Centre, 0345 810 1010. We will replace it free of charge and any valid SWR tickets loaded on it. Where we reasonably believe it has been deliberately damaged or misused, we reserve the right to charge an administration fee for its replacement. If we believe your card has been tampered with in any way we may withdraw it without refunding the remaining ticket values.
- We reserve the right to refuse to replace the smartcard.
Data Protection and Security of your Payment
- We take your privacy very seriously. We will not pass your information to third parties outside of SWR unless required by law. We process and store personal data in accordance with the latest Data Protection Act legislation. Our full Data Protection Policy is available at: southwesternrailway.com.
- For smartcards, the data we hold includes title (Mr/Mrs/Ms/Miss etc), first name and surname, address, telephone number, email address, and date of birth.
- When using a SWR smartcard our system records the location, date and time a smartcard was used. We will never pass on the specific details of journeys made to anyone other than the registered holder of that smartcard unless we are required to by law.
- We have taken many steps to ensure the security of your payment transactions including the adoption of the recognised payment industry standards. SWR does not hold any information about your financial transaction other than details of the products you purchase and when and where the purchase was made.
- We will only use information that you have supplied for administration (including development and maintenance of our systems), customer service, our own research, and detection and prevention of crime.
- If you have ticked the relevant box on the application form, you agree that we may also contact you to keep you updated with information about our services such as timetable changes and fare changes and also to inform you of special offers and our other related products and services. If you have accepted that you are willing to accept emails from us, you will be sent emails to your specified email address. You can opt out from receiving emails via the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of emails or if not by contacting the Customer Service Centre.
*If you purchase an Annual Season Ticket onto your smartcard you will be sent a separate Gold Record Card. This contains the relevant Season Ticket information that will enable you to obtain additional Gold Card discounted tickets for yourself and others travelling with you for all journeys across the Gold Card area. For more information Gold Card visit nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46573.aspx