Conditions of issue and use of the Annual Gold Card and reduced priced tickets ('discounted tickets') bought with an Annual Gold Card.
Reference to an ‘Annual Gold Card’ means an Annual Gold Card Season ticket, Annual Gold Travelcard or Gold Record Card (issued when you have your Annual Season ticket or Annual Travelcard issued on an Oyster card or Smartcard).
Train Companies enter the contract with You for the issue and use of the Annual Gold Card. Reference to a 'Train Company', or the 'Train Companies' means those Train Companies which, pursuant to a franchise agreement, operate Passenger Rail Services and participate in the Annual Gold Card discount scheme. References to ‘You’ and ‘Your’ mean the named Annual Gold Card holder.
1. The Annual Gold Card and tickets bought with it are not transferable and must not be given, loaned or resold to anyone else. Only You can use the Annual Gold Card.
2. Annual Gold Card discounted tickets are valid for travel in the Annual Gold Card area only.
3. Annual Gold Card discounted tickets are not valid for travel from 04:30 to 09:29 Monday to Friday, except on Public Holidays.
4. All child fares are subject to a minimum £1 fare. Travelcard minimum fares also apply, see nationalrail.co.uk/goldcard for details. Please note, minimum fares are subject to change during the validity of Your Annual Gold Card.
5. The maximum group size is 4 adults (aged 16 years and over) and 4 children (aged 5-15 years).
6. Tickets for Your journey should be purchased before boarding the train and when buying tickets You must show Your Annual Gold Card and, where applicable, photocard.
7. If the journey You are making is covered by Your Annual Season ticket You do not need to buy yourself a ticket. However, if You are purchasing discounted Off-peak Day Travelcards for accompanying adults or children and You intend to travel in a London Fare Zone not covered by Your Annual Season ticket, You must also purchase a discounted Off-Peak Day Travelcard Zones 1-6 for yourself.
8. You must carry Your Annual Gold Card and, where applicable, photocard with You on the journey and when asked by rail staff You must show a valid ticket and valid Annual Gold Card. If You fail to do so, You and each member of Your group will be required to pay the full price Standard or First Class Single fare for Your journey as if no ticket was purchased before starting Your journey and in some cases a Penalty Fare.
This does not apply if there was no ticket office at the station at which You began the journey or if the ticket office was closed, and there was no working ticket machine from which You could buy discounted tickets, or You have a disability which prevented You accessing ticket retailing facilities. In these cases You will be able to use Your Annual Gold Card to buy discounted tickets on the train or at Your destination.
9. You will be asked to pay the difference between the price of Your discounted ticket and the full price Standard or First Class fare (or the Penalty Fare if travelling in the Penalty Fares area) if:
a) You travel beyond the station for which Your ticket is issued;
b) You travel to a destination beyond the Annual Gold Card area, without having first obtained the correct ticket for Your journey;
c) You travel on a route for which a higher fare applies or at a time when discounted tickets are not valid.
10. Additional accompanying passengers for whom discounted tickets are purchased must travel with You throughout the journey.
11. Even if Your Annual Season ticket is valid for travel on any train company service, Annual Gold Card discounted tickets can only be used for travel on participating Train Company services in the Annual Gold Card scheme area – see the Annual Gold Card area map for the current participating Train Companies and scheme area.
12. You can buy 1 discounted 1-year national or Network Railcard for £10, subject to the relevant eligibility criteria, during the validity of Your Annual Gold Card, for yourself or someone else.
13. The Annual Gold Card and all tickets issued to the holder are issued subject to the National Rail Conditions of Carriage and the conditions listed on the National Rail website (and, where appropriate, the Conditions of Carriage of any other operators on whose services the ticket is valid).
14. The Annual Gold Card will not be valid if it is damaged. In the event that an Annual Gold Card is damaged, lost or stolen, please refer to the terms and conditions of the Annual Season ticket purchased on the National Rail website.
15. The Annual Gold Card does not become Your property and if requested must be handed in to a representative of any Train Company.
16. The right is reserved to revise these conditions, availability of the tickets and train companies included in the Annual Gold Card scheme – see nationalrail.co.uk/goldcard for current conditions, discounts and participating Train Companies. The Train Companies will endeavour to give adequate notice of any changes before they are due to come into effect.
Fraudulent use of Annual Gold Cards and Annual Gold Card discounted tickets may lead to a criminal prosecution.
Tickets you CANNOT get Annual Gold Card discounts on include:
● Season tickets, including Travelcard Season tickets
● Eurostar tickets
● Tickets for special excursions or charter trains and some coach/bus links, including Railair services
● Most London Underground and Docklands Light Railway tickets (unless using Oyster pay as you go)
● Some Train Company and Community Rail Partnership specific tickets