Head to Hampshire and The Isle of Wight by train this summer and discover a feast of fun for all the family. From wildlife, roller coasters, action and adventure through to steam trains, classic cars, museums and heritage - Hampshire’s Top Attractions has them all - perfect for your very own summer of exploration.
Whether you are looking for family fun, something for the kids or adventures as a couple, there is an attraction to suit every taste. With fantastic discount vouchers, including 2-for-1 entries, kids go free and 25% off, there is something to please everyone this summer!
So what are you waiting for?! Visit hampshireattractions.co.uk/SWRSummer/ to start your summer of fun!
Follow Hampshire’s Top Attractions on Twitter; become a fan on Facebook or share your summer #HantsDaysOut with them on Instagram!
1) Winchester Cathedral is one of the finest medieval cathedrals in Europe. Visit this magnificent Cathedral to discover 1,000 years of history, incredible architecture and priceless treasures. With free entry for under 16s, Winchester Cathedral is a perfect day out for all the family!
2) The Mary Rose presents an astonishing window into Tudor life and the world of Henry VIII. Dramatically raised from the sea in 1982, Henry’s flagship the Mary Rose now forms the centrepiece of a unique, award-winning exhibition in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.
3) Portsmouth Historic Dockyard is the UK’s premier destination for naval heritage is a must-see for anyone visiting the South of England. With three ships; three submarines and three museums, visitors can travel through centuries of British naval history with just one ticket.
4) The stunning, award winning Sir Harold Hillier Gardens is world famous for its arboretum and gardens – set over 180 acres of rolling Hampshire countryside; with so much to see throughout the year, one visit just won’t be enough.
5) Visit Marwell Zoo and discover an incredible range of exotic and endangered species. Experience a living rainforest at their Tropical House – now open - with new, colourful and charismatic creatures. With adventure playgrounds, daily animal talks, a free road train and rail train, there’s plenty to see and do.
6) Hop over to the Isle of Wight with Wightlink this summer for an adventure your kids will never forget. And with the Island Express offer, you can explore the Island at your own pace by train for less.
7) Mottisfont is a romantic house and gallery set in beautiful riverside gardens, managed by the National Trust. There’s space to run, jump and play, with activity trails in school holidays and a family-focused exhibition every summer.
8) Emirates Spinnaker Tower stands at 170 metres tall, offering breathtaking views over Portsmouth Harbour, the Solent and Isle of Wight. The iconic landmark boasts a high speed lift, glass ‘Sky Walk’, a café in the clouds and open air ‘Sky Garden’.
9) Spark your child’s curiosity at Winchester Science Centre. Explore two floors of interactive science and space exhibits and take a flight through the Universe in the UK’s largest standalone planetarium. Parking, café and shop onsite, with indoor and outdoor picnic and play facilities.
10) Beaulieu is an award winning day out with something for every-one. Car fanatics can see over 250 cars in The National Motor Museum, history buffs can explore the 800 year old Abbey and Palace House. Plus there’s World of Top Gear, stunning grounds and gardens and more!
11) Butser Ancient Farm is a unique experimental archaeology site in the South Downs National Park. Discover ancient life through an array of events and workshops within atmospheric reconstructions from the Stone Age, Iron Age, Roman and Saxon periods.
12) Red Funnel is the original Isle of Wight ferry company. Rail passengers can book through tickets to East or West Cowes inclusive of ferry travel, with free connections from Southampton Central to Red Funnel terminals via the Quayconnect bus service.
13) Live life more adventurously and unleash your inner Tarzan with Go Ape! Days out at Go Ape are about living life adventurously, having fun with friends and family and getting in touch with your inner Tarzan (he’s in there, promise).
14) Based at the heart of Southampton, SeaCity Museum tells the story of the people of the city, their fascinating lives and historic connections with Titanic and the sea.
15) Southampton’s most important historic building, Tudor House reveals over 800 years of history in one fascinating location at the heart of the Old Town.
16) Set in the beautiful Royal Victoria Country Park, the historic chapel is all that remains of the British Army’s first purpose built military hospital. The Royal Victoria Chapel stands on the edge of Southampton Water and is an iconic local landmark, with its impressive tower rising 150ft to an elegant domed cupola.
17) Come and be amazed at the authentic sights, sounds and smells of the last steam-driven Victorian Brickworks in the country. At The Brickworks Museum you can follow in the footsteps of the brickmakers and experience Victorian factory life.
18) Created by Lionel de Rothschild in 1919, Exbury Gardens covers 200 acres and offers horticultural variety on the edge of the Beaulieu River. This beautiful woodland garden can be explored on foot, by chauffeur-driven buggy, or on the steam railway.
19) Whatever the time of year, there is always so much to see and do at the Watercress Line! With 10 miles of track and four beautiful stations to visit by steam or diesel train in the rolling Hampshire countryside.
20) Hovertravel provides the fastest Isle of Wight ferry service across the Solent and is the world’s longest running and only commercial hovercraft operator in Europe. Hop on-board this Summer!
21) Birdworld is one of the largest bird parks in the country, home to over 1000 birds and 180 species from around the world. The park also includes Underwater World, The Jenny Wren Farm and exhibits such as The Terry Pratchett Owl Parliament.
22) Winchester’s Military Quarter – six inspiring museums in the magnificent Victorian Peninsula Barracks. Discover Victoria Crosses, Gurkha soldiers, the Battle of Waterloo model, real war horses, the Memorial Garden, soldiers’ lives over the last 300 years and so much more.
23) Head to Riverside Bowl and try the fantastic 9 hole Glow in the dark Golf Course or enjoy a game of 10 Pin Bowling!
24) Come down and see what Golden Gecko Climbing has to offer. They have 10 auto belays offering climbing to almost anyone (ages 5+) and an extensive bouldering wall. The tower has 13 roped lines, all having a variety of varied grades of climbing.
25) Queen Victoria and Prince Albert’s palatial island family home, Osborne offers a beach, private apartments, garden terraces and stunning views across the Solent. Take a glimpse into royal history and discover the private life of this famous couple and their children.
26) Sitting within gloriously preserved Roman walls, Portchester Castle enjoys a relaxed setting, beautiful views of the Solent and over 1600 years of history. Visit to see a new exhibition telling the story of over 2500 French Caribbean prisoners kept at the Castle in the 19th Century.
27) This Summer, lightning-paced cricket returns to the Ageas Bowl with the summer 2018 series of Vitality Blast T20 cricket matches! Witness all the thrills of Hampshire in exhilarating action from the picturesque Ageas Bowl outfield, the home of Hampshire Cricket.
There is an abundance of attractions waiting to be explored this summer across the South Western Railway network.
*please note that the attractions listed below ARE NOT taking part in this campaign and WILL NOT be offering a discount voucher throughout the Summer Holidays.
New Forest Wildlife Park
Itchen Valley Country Park
Lepe Country Park
Nuffield Southampton Theatres
Isle of Wight
The Needles Landmark Attraction
Gilbert White & The Oates Collections
Andover & Stockbridge
Museum of Army Flying
Thruxton Motorsport Centre
Bombay Sapphire Distillery
Whitchurch Silk Mill
Winchester Military Museums
Theatre Royal Winchester
The New Forest
New Forest Centre
New Forest Activities
Forest Leisure Cycling
Petersfield & Liphook
Queen Elizabeth Country Park
Hollycombe Steam in the Country
Staunton Country Park
For more ideas on days out, visit:
Visit Isle of Wight