Delay Repay is the national scheme that train companies use to compensate you for unexpected delays or cancellations.
If you're travelling on one of our services and have been delayed by 30 minutes or longer, you are entitled to claim compensation under our Delay Repay scheme (except with delays are caused by planned engineering works). You can also claim if you've missed your connection to other National Rail services because of a delay or cancellation on your SWR train.
For more information click here or see our Passenger's Charter, available to view online, or you can pick up a copy from one of our staffed stations.
For journeys made on or after 04 September 2017
Delay Repay was launched for South Western Railways on the 4th September 2017 and applies where your journey was made on or after this date.
For more information and how to apply click here.
For journeys made before 04 September 2017
For all claims relating journeys before 04 September 2017 the previous passenger charter scheme still applies. For more information please read the below.
A Void Period is where peak period trains – those arriving at Waterloo between 07:00 and 09:59 Monday to Friday or departing between 16:00 and 18:59 Monday to Friday – have been severely disrupted for a specific service group. The number of Void Periods for the last 12 months is available on Our Performance page.
For each void period declared we will refund you a proportion of your season ticket value. To calculate the value of each full void day declared we divide the cost of your season ticket as follows.
- an annual season ticket is divided by 260
- a monthly season ticket is divided by 22
- a weekly season ticket is divided by 5*
Waterloo Station Upgrade Work
We appreciate that the recent upgrade work at Waterloo Station caused significant change for all our customers, particularly our regular customers.
Under our Passenger Charter compensation scheme the first 10 weekdays of the upgrade works which were from 7 to 11 August and from 14 to 18 August have been declared Void Days.
Regular customers who have South Western Railway monthly and longer season tickets which were valid for travel during that period, are therefore eligible for a full refund for those 10 days. For full details of Passenger Charter Compensation please click here.
Passenger’s Charter performance
We’ll compensate you where we have failed to meet our Passenger's Charter commitments for punctuality and/or train service reliability over the last 12 months.
If, on average, over the last 12 months,
- our punctuality has been more than 2.5% below our Passenger's Charter standard,
- or our reliability has been more than 1% (or 0.75% for Island Line Trains) below our Passenger's Charter standard,
then we’ll give you a 5% discount on the price of your Season Ticket renewal.
If we fail to achieve our Passenger's Charter standards for both reliability and punctuality, we’ll give you a 10% discount.
Your renewal Season ticket must be for the same journey and the same period or shorter. We won’t give you these discounts if your Season ticket renewal is for travel on an alternative route, a longer distance or a longer ticket validity, or you are changing from Standard to First Class.
We’re sorry, we won’t compensate you if:
- You bought a Travelcard (either a ‘paper’ ticket or Oyster card) from somewhere other than South Western Railway. But we will consider your claim if you have proof that you use our trains for all, or part, of your journey – such as a home or work address close to a station we serve, and details of the journey you make
- If your journey involves travel on another train company’s trains – you’ll only be able to claim compensation from one train company per Season ticket
- If your Season ticket expired more than 28 days ago
How to claim
Void Period refunds:
- If you bought your ticket at one of our stations or ticket machines, you can claim your Void Period refund at the ticket office
- If you bought your ticket over the phone, including Business Travel, or on a Smartcard from our website, you can claim your refund at a South Western Railway ticket office or by writing to our Customer Service Centre – please enclose your expired tickets or your Smartcard number
- If you bought your ticket elsewhere please apply in writing to our Customer Service Centre and enclose your expired tickets.
Passenger's Charter compensation:
You’ll receive your discount when you renew your Season ticket. You must do this within 28 days of its expiry. Your new Season ticket must be for the same journey and for the same or shorter period of time.